Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Excited about Inservice?

Some of you may have rolled your eyes at my question and that is ok! This is for those eager beavers like myself.

 I am overly excited about everything as a new teacher. You could probably tell me that, as a new teacher, I would have to plant 431 trees all on my own throughout the year and I would be super enthused by the idea. Who wouldn't right? We could always use more trees!

Well, today I was able to attend my very first inservice as a certified teacher and I was super thrilled. Perhaps, I was the only person that was "super thrilled." Again, thats ok! To make a change you have to be difference!

I found the inservice to be very beneficial. 
Today, I am going to share with you something I found very helpful. Also, I am an extremely hands on type of learner, so this activity helped keep me engaged and the information really stuck to my brain.

Scarborough's Rope


If you look above at the photograph, it gives you an idea of the many strands that go into making a skilled reader. Children need all of these to succeed. If a child lacks one or two of these strands the entire rope will fall apart, so to speak.

Some very lovely ladies presented this rope in a way that is going to make it difficult to forget!



Each of us had the opportunity to make a Scarborough's Rope out of pipe cleaners! This was a neat experience and made learning about Scarborough's Rope very interesting. I am going to incorporate each of these strands into my reading block this year in hopes to really reach those children who may have a thread or two missing.

Also, I have learned really quickly that inservice is what you make it! Be positive. If not for you, for them.


0 comments:

Post a Comment