Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

Adjectives and Popcorn!!

This poem is absolutely amazing on so many levels!! A fellow 2nd grade teacher shared this poem with me and I want to share it with you. We will be talking about about adjectives the week after spring break and I could not be anymore excited. I have so many great things planned for the kiddos. On Friday, we are going to make popcorn using an air popper (healthy!!) and record as many adjectives as we can about what we are witnessing. I am also going to share with my friends this lovely poem that describes and compares popcorn and reading. There are so many things you can teach your students using this poem. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I know we are going to :)
I will be sure to post pictures of our popcorn adjective experience. It is going to be wonderful!
I Love the Look of Words
By Maya Angelou
Popcorn leaps, popping from the floor

of a hot black skillet
and into my mouth.
Black words leap,
snapping from the white
page.  Rushing into my eyes.  Sliding
into my brain which gobbles them
the way my tongue and teeth
chomp the buttered popcorn.
When I have stopped reading,

ideas from the words stay stuck
in my mind, like the sweet
smell of butter perfuming my
fingers long after the popcorn
is finished.
I love the book and the look of words

the weight of ideas that popped into my mind.
I love the tracks
of new thinking in my mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment