Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

#awesomeadjectives

Spring break is well underway and I must say the break has been quite nice, but as most teachers, our brains never turn off and I am so excited to get back in the classroom to teach the kiddos all about awesome adjectives. I haven't stopped thinking about how much FUN we are going to have learning about adjectives. I plan to read them the book, If I were an Adjective, and follow up by doing a really fun and meaningful brainstorming activity after we read the book. 


I am going to place 4 objects on their group tables, one on each table. I will also place sticky notes for the children at their group. Each child will get one sticky note and together as a table they must come up with, in this case, six different adjectives to describe the items at their table. They will stick their sticky note on the item once they are finished. This will give me an indicator to who is finished and who might be struggling to complete the task. The four items I chose to use are:


                                             A colorful shag rug
                                                    A candle
                                               A stuffed animal
                                                  A beach ball

Once all the children are finished brainstorming and writing down their adjectives we are going to have a classroom discussion about the adjectives they have come up with. After we are finished with that activity, they are going to come up with adjectives to describe themselves and make a poster about themselves using different adjectives. On the back of their poster they are going to write about themselves using the adjectives they chose to describe themselves. This really gets 2nd graders motivated because they are talking about themselves :)


Here is my example I made for what the students will be creating and on the back they they will have a writing that incorporates all of the adjectives they used on the front of their poster. 

Stay tuned and I will post some of the kiddos work for you to see how it turned out for us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment